Sunday, March 19, 2006

Third Sunday of Lent

Third Sunday of Lent

The readings for March 19, 2006 were:
Exodus 20:1-17
1 Corinthians 1:18-25
John 2:13-22

Our introit hymn was If Thou but Suffer God to Guide Thee

This seventeenth century hymn and hymn tune was written by Georg Neumark and translated by Catherine Winkworth in the late nineteenth century. The tune is called “Wer Nur Den Lieben Gott”

1. If thou but suffer God to guide thee,
and hope in God through all thy ways,
God will give strength, whate'er betide thee,
and bear thee through the evil days.
Who trusts in God's unchanging love
builds on the rock that naught can move.

2. Only be still, and wait God's leisure
in cheerful hope, with heart content
to take whate'er thy Maker's pleasure
and all-discerning love hath sent;
we know our inmost wants are known,
for we are called to be God's own.

3. Sing, pray, and keep God's ways unswerving;
so do thine own part faithfully,
and trust God's word; though undeserving,
thou yet shalt find it true for thee.
God never yet forsook at need
the soul that trusted God indeed.

Our first hymn was How Great Thou Art. This is not one of favorite hymns, but I’ve never found a congregation that didn’t just love singing this. I think they mostly love the fermata at the end.

How Great Thou

Oh Lord my God when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands have made
I see the stars I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed

Then sings my soul my Savior, God, to Thee
How great thou art, how great thou art
Then sings my soul my Savior, God, to Thee
How great Thou art. How great Thou art

When Christ shall come with shouts of adulation
And take me home what joy shall fill my heart
Then I shall bow in humble adoration
And there proclaim My God, how great Thou art

Then sings my soul my Savior, God, to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art
Then sings my soul my Savior, God, to Thee
How great Thou art. How great Thou art

The second hymn was In the Cross of Christ I Glory
The text was written by John Bowring (1792-1872). The hymn tune is “Rathbun”, written by Ithamar Conkey (1815-1867)


1. In the cross of Christ I glory,
towering o'er the wrecks of time;
all the light of sacred story
gathers round its head sublime.

2. When the woes of life o'ertake me,
hopes deceive, and fears annoy,
never shall the cross forsake me.
Lo! it glows with peace and joy.

3. When the sun of bliss is beaming
light and love upon my way,
from the cross the radiance streaming
adds more luster to the day.

4. Bane and blessing, pain and pleasure,
by the cross are sanctified;
peace is there that knows no measure,
joys that through all time abide.

5. In the cross of Christ I glory,
towering o'er the wrecks of time;
all the light of sacred story
gathers round its head sublime.

Our anthem was “Keep Me Faithfully in Thy Paths, O Lord” by George Frederick Handel, arranged by Richard Proulx © 1980 by GIA Publications, Inc.

Keep me faithfully in thy paths, O Lord,
And cleanse me, cleanse me from my sin…
In thy goodness, Lord, be thou merciful,,
And cleanse me from my sin.

The final hymn was
Beneath the Cross of Jesus by Elizabeth C. Clephane, (1830-1869). The hymn tune is “St. Christopher” by Frederick C. Maker, (1844-1927)

1. Beneath the cross of Jesus
I fain would take my stand,
the shadow of a mighty rock
within a weary land;
a home within the wilderness,
a rest upon the way,
from the burning of the noontide heat,
and the burden of the day.

2. Upon that cross of Jesus
mine eye at times can see
the very dying form of One
who suffered there for me;
and from my stricken heart with tears
two wonders I confess:
the wonders of redeeming love
and my unworthiness.

3. I take, O cross, thy shadow
for my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
the sunshine of his face;
content to let the world go by,
to know no gain nor loss,
my sinful self my only shame,
my glory all the cross.

No comments: