Monday, March 20, 2006

New Hymnals in My Collection

I bought a bunch of new hymnals at the library book sale today. Most of them are what I call “Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting” hymnbooks, but they’re interesting. Many of the hymns in these old books can be found in today’s hymnals, many more I remember from my childhood when churches still had Wednesday night prayer meeting, but a lot of these hymns are completely unfamiliar to me.

The Pilgrim Hymnal, copyright 1935. This is the hymnal for the Congregational Church. The hymns are mostly familiar hymns, still included in contemporary hymnals, but there were three hymns for Labor Day and two hymns for Armistice Day. Isn’t it a shame that Congress changed that holiday’s name? We should honor our veterans, but we shouldn’t forget what Armistice Day meant. I love the way that al of the old British Commonwealth countries call it Remembrance Day. We should remember

Hymns of Praise Number Two, copyright 1925.

Tabernacle Hymns Number Three, copyright 1939

Old Fashioned Revival Hour Songs, copyright 1950.These are hymns from the old radio show.

Hymns of Praise There was no copyright date, but it’s pretty old collection.

Triumphant Service Songs. This copy is in poor condition and missing its title page, but I believe it dates from 1930.

Songs That Touch the Heart, volumes one and two. Copyright 1948 and 1954.
Favorites: Gospel Songs for Solos, Duets, Trios, Quartets and Group Singing, Volumes 2, 3 and 4.copyright 1951.There were no songs that I knew in these three books with the noteable exception of His Eye Is on the Sparrow, and don’t we all love that one?

His Eye Is on the Sparrow

Why should I feel discouraged
Why should the shadows come
Why should my heart feel lonely
And long for heaven and home
When Jesus is my portion
A constant friend is He
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches over me
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me

I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me.

No comments: