Monday, October 10, 2005

Twenty-First Sunday after Pentecost

Here are the readings for October 9.

Exodus 32:1-14
Psalm 106:1-6, 19-23
Philippians 4:1-9
Matthew 22:1-14


Our anthem was Rejoice in the Lord Alway by Henry Purcell.
It's perfect for the Epistle reading for the day. The web link takes you to a fabulous recording by the Deller Consort. We didn't sound at all as good, but we did ok.


Rejoice in the Lord alway, and again I say, rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men.
The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing;
but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds
through Jesus Christ our Lord.


Since the sermon and Gospel reading were about repentence the hymns were about repentence. I like them all.

Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy

The words are by Joseph Hart, Hymns Composed on Various Subjects, 1759,
The hymn tune is called "Restoration,” from The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, by William Walker, 1835

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus ready stands to save you,
Full of pity, love and power.

Refrain

I will arise and go to Jesus,
He will embrace me in His arms;
In the arms of my dear Savior,
O there are ten thousand charms.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
God’s free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance,
Every grace that brings you nigh.

Refrain

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry till you’re better,
You will never come at all.

Refrain

View Him prostrate in the garden;
On the ground your Maker lies.
On the bloody tree behold Him;
Sinner, will this not suffice?

Refrain

Lo! th’incarnate God ascended,
Pleads the merit of His blood:
Venture on Him, venture wholly,
Let no other trust intrude.

Refrain

Let not conscience make you linger,
Not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him.

Refrain

It's Me, It's Me, It's Me, O Lord
by Harry Thacker Burleigh

It's a me, It's A Me, O Lord,
Standin' in the need of prayer. Not my brother, Not my sister
It's A Me O Lord, Standin' in the need of prayer.

It's a me,It's A Me, O Lord,
Standin' in the need of prayer.
Not my father,Not my mother,It's A Me O Lord,
Standin' in the need of prayer. :


O, Jesus I Have Promised

The text is by John Ernest Bode. Bode wrote the words for his daughter’s and two sons’ confirmation service. At the time, Bode was a pastor in Castle Camps parish, Cambridgeshire, England. It was published in the appendix of Psalms and Hymns of the Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge, 1869.

The hymn tune is “Angel’s Story,” Arthur H. Mann, in The Methodist Sunday School Hymn­book (London: 1881)

O Jesus, I have promised
to serve thee to the end:
be thou ever near me,
my Master and my friend;
I shall not fear the battle
if thou art by my side,
nor wander from the pathway
if thou wilt be my guide.

O let me feel thee near me!
The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
the tempting sounds I hear;
my foes are ever near me,
around me and within;
but Jesus, draw thou nearer,
and shield my soul from sin.

O let me hear thee speaking
in accents clear and still,
above the storms of passion,
the murmurs of self-will;
O speak to reassure me,
to hasten or control;
O speak, and make me listen,
thou guardian of my soul.

O let me see thy features,
the look that once could make
so many a true disciple
leave all things for thy sake:
the look that beamed on Peter
when he thy name denied;
the look that draws thy lovers
close to thy piercèd side.

O Jesus, thou hast promised
to all who follow thee,
that where thou art in glory
there shall thy servant be;
and, Jesus I have promised
to serve thee to the end;
O give me grace to follow,
my Master and my friend.

O let me see thy footmarks,
and in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow duly
is in thy strength alone.
O guide me, call me, draw me,
uphold me to the end;
and then in heaven receive me,
my Savior and my Friend.

No comments: