Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Peace Be Still!

The Third Sunday after Pentecost
The readings for June 25 were:
1 Samuel 17: (1a, 4-11, 19-23), 32-49
Psalm 9:9-20
2 Corinthians 6:1-13
Mark 4:35-41

Our first hymn was A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.
The text is by Martin Luther, translated by Frederick H. Hedge. The tune is Ein Feste Burg.

1. A mighty fortress is our God,
a bulwark never failing;
our helper he amid the flood
of mortal ills prevaling.
For still our ancient foe
doth seek to work us woe;
his craft and power are great,
and armed with cruel hate,
on earth is not his equal.

2. Did we in our own strength confide,
our striving would be losing,
were not the right man on our side,
the man of God's own choosing.
Dost ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus, it is he;
Lord Sabbaoth, his name,
from age to age the same,
and he must win the battle.

3. And though this world, with devils filled,
should threaten to undo us,
we will not fear, for God hath willed
his truth to triumph through us.
The Prince of Darkness grim,
we tremble not for him;
his rage we can endure,
for lo, his doom is sure;
one little word shall fell him.

4. That word above all earthly powers,
no thanks to them, abideth;
the Spirit and the gifts are ours,
thru him who with us sideth.
Let goods and kindred go,
this mortal life also;
the body they may kill;
God's truth abideth still;
his kingdom is forever.

We had the liturgical dance ensemble at church this week. They had small groups dancing at all of the downtown churches. The choir sang Amazing Grace while they danced. The men sang verse three in a minor key.

1. Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
was blind, but now I see.

2. 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved;
how precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed.

3. Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come;
'tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.

4. The Lord has promised good to me,
his word my hope secures;
he will my shield and portion be,
as long as life endures.

5. Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
a life of joy and peace.

6. When we've been there ten thousand years,
bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing God's praise
than when we first begun.

Our second hymn was
Stand by Me
, written by Charles Albert Tindley. Charles Albert Tindley (1851-1933) was one of the most famous African American Methodist ministers of his era and has been called "one of the founding fathers of African American gospel music.” The hymn is great, but I always find that the congregation has trouble with the rhythm of this hymn.

When the storms of life are raging, stand by me, stand by me.
When the storms of life are raging, stand by me, stand by me.
When the world is tossing me, like a ship upon the sea,
Thou who rulest wind and water, stand by me, stand by me.

In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me, stand by me.
In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me, stand by me.
When I’ve done the best I can, and my friends misunderstand,
Thou who knowest all about me, stand by me, stand by me.

When I’m growing old and feeble, stand by me, stand by me.
When I’m growing old and feeble, stand by me, stand by me.
When my life becomes a burden, and I‘m nearing chilly Jordan,
O thou Lily of the Valley, stand by me, stand by me.

The choir anthem was a setting of
It Is Well with My Soul
by Horatio Spafford set to the tune Ville de Havre by Philip Bliss. The name of the tune is the name of the lost ship on which Spafford’s children perished. This is a difficult hymn for me to sing because it brings to mind the funeral of a friend who died in a plane crash this spring.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Refrain

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

Refrain

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Refrain

Our final hymn was Precious Lord, Take My Hand by Thomas A. Dorsey, set to an adaptation of the tune Maitland by George Alen. Dorsey wrote the hymn after the death of his wife Nettie in childbirth.

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light:

Refrain

Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home.

When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near,
When my life is almost gone,
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall:

Refrain

When the darkness appears
And the night draws near,
And the day is past and gone,
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand:

Refrain

No comments: