Sunday, May 28, 2006

Ascension Sunday


Ascension Sunday
May 28, 2006

The readings for today were:
Acts 1:1-11
Psalm 47
Ephesians 1:15-23
Luke 24:44-53
Our associate pastor preached today and chose to concentrate on Memorial Day instead on the Ascension of Christ. Not to my liking. The hymns reflected this, but the choir stuck to the liturgy in our introit and anthem.

Our introit was the hymn Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise by Charles Wesley set to the tune Llanfair Robert Williams.

Hail the day that sees him rise, Alleluia!
to his throne above the skies; Alleluia!
Christ, the Lamb for sinners given, Alleluia!
enters now the highest heaven! Alleluia!

There for him high triumph waits; Alleluia!
lift your heads, eternal gates! Alleluia!
he hath conquered death and sin; Alleluia!
take the King of glory in! Alleluia!

Lo! the heaven its Lord receives, Alleluia!
yet he loves the earth he leaves; Alleluia!
though returning to his throne, Alleluia!
still he calls mankind his own. Alleluia!

See! he lifts his hands above; Alleluia!
See! he shows the prints of love: Alleluia!
Hark! his gracious lips bestow, Alleluia!
blessings on his Church below. Alleluia!

Still for us he intercedes, Alleluia!
his prevailing death he pleads, Alleluia!
near himself prepares our place, Alleluia!
he the first fruits of our race. Alleluia!

Lord, though parted from our sight, Alleluia!
far above the starry height, Alleluia!
grant our hearts may thither rise, Alleluia!
seeking thee above the skies. Alleluia!

There we shall with thee remain, Alleluia!
partners of thy eternal reign, Alleluia!
there thy face forever see, Alleluia!
find our heaven of heavens in thee, Alleluia!

The second hymn was the old fashioned favorite He Lives! written by Alfred H. Ackley in 1933.

I serve a risen Savior, He's in the world today;
I know that He is living, whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer
And just the time I need Him He's always near.

Refrain
He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart.

In all the world around me I see His loving care,
And tho' my heart grows weary I never will despair;
I know that He is leading thru all the stormy blast,
The day of His appearing will come at last.

Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian, lift up your voice and sing,
Eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ the King!
The hope of all who seek Him, the help of all who find,
None other is so loving, so good and kind

Our anthem was The Lamb Is Reigning on His Throne by Gerald Coleman, set by Mark Hayes. It’s not great music, but is quite moving when sung well by a large choir. Unfortunately today our choir was small, and we didn’t sing very well.

The Lamb, the Lamb. O Father, where’s the sacrifice?
Faith sees, believes God will provide the Lamb of price!
Worthy is the Lamb whose death makes me his own!
The Lamb is reigning on His Throne!

The Lamb, the Lamb, as wayward sheep their shepherd kill.
So still, his will on our behalf the Law to fill.
Worthy is the Lamb whose death makes me his own!
The Lamb is reigning on His Throne!

He sighs, He dies, He takes my sin and wretchedness.
He lives, forgives, He gives me his own righteousness.
Worthy is the Lamb whose death makes me his own!
The Lamb is reigning on His Throne!

He rose, He rose, my heart with thanks now overflows.
His song prolong ‘Til every heart to him belong.
Worthy is the Lamb whose death makes me his own!
The Lamb is reigning on His Throne!


The third hymn was America by Samuel F. Smith.
1. My country,' tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing;
land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrims' pride,
from every mountainside let freedom ring!

2. My native country, thee, land of the noble free, thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills, thy woods and templed hills;
my heart with rapture thrills, like that above.

3. Let music swell the breeze, and ring from all the trees sweet freedom's song;
let mortal tongues awake; let all that breathe partake;
let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong.

4. Our fathers' God, to thee, author of liberty, to thee we sing;
long may our land be bright with freedom's holy light;
protect us by thy might, great God, our King.

Our final hymn was also patriotic Katherine Lee Bates’ wonderful America the Beautiful. The hymn tune is Materna by Samuel A. Ward.

1. O beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain;
for purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain!
America! America! God shed his grace on thee,
and crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea.

2. O beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife,
who more than self their country loved, and mercy more than life!
America! America! May God thy gold refine,
till all success be nobleness, and every gain divine.

3. O beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years
thine alabaster cities gleam, undimmed by human tears!
America! America! God mend thine every flaw,
confirm thy soul in self-control, thy liberty in law.

No comments: