Sunday, April 09, 2006

Palm Passion Sunday, April 9, 2006



Palm/ Passion Sunday
The readings for April 9, 2006 were:
The Liturgy of the Palms
Mark 11:1-11
John 12:12-16
Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
The Liturgy of the Word
Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm 31:9-16
Philippians 2:5-11
Mark 14:1-15:47
Mark 15:1-39, (40-47)

We had two processional hymns, which confused everyone. The first was Hosanna, Loud Hosanna by Jeanette Threlfall and set to the tune Ellacombe harmonized by W. H. Monk.

1. Hosanna, loud hosanna, the little children sang,
through pillared court and temple the lovely anthem rang.
To Jesus, who had blessed them close folded to his breast,
the children sang their praises, the simplest and the best.

2. From Olivet they followed mid an exultant crowd,
the victor palm branch waving, and chanting clear and loud.
The Lord of earth and heaven rode on in lowly state,
nor scorned that little children should on his bidding wait.

3. "Hosanna in the highest!" that ancient song we sing,
for Christ is our Redeemer, the Lord of heaven our King.
O may we ever praise him with heart and life and voice,
and in his blissful presence eternally rejoice!

The second Processional hymn was Mantos y Palmas (Filled with Excitement) by Ruben Ruiz Avila, translated by Gertruce C. Suppe. The tune is Hosanna by Ruben Ruiz Avila. Fortunately this year we sang it in English instead of Spanish. When we have to sing in Spanish AND process at the same time I can barely keep from falling over my own feet.

Filled with excitement, all the happy throng
Spread cloaks and branches on the city streets.
There in the distance they begin to see,
Riding on a donkey, comes the Son of God
From every corner a thousand voice sing
Praises to Him who comes in the name of God
With one great shout of acclamation loud
Triumphant song breaks forth:
“Hosanna, hosanna to the King!
Hosanna, hosanna to the King!”
As on that entrance to Jerusalem,
We sing hosannas to the Christ, our King,
To the living Savior who still calls today,
Asking us to follow him with love and faith.
From every corner a thousand voice sing
Praises to Him who comes in the name of God
With one great shout of acclamation loud
Triumphant song breaks forth:
“Hosanna, hosanna to the King!
Hosanna, hosanna to the King!”

Our first anthem was Ride on, King Jesus.

Ride on King Jesus ! No man can hinder me!
Ride on King Jesus !Ride on! No man can hinder me!

King Jesus rides on a milk white horse
No man can hinder him
The river Jordan he did cross
No man can hinder him

For He is King of Kings, Lord of Lords.
Jesus Christ, the first and last.
No man works like Him.

Ride on King Jesus! No man can hinder me.
Ride on, King Jesus, Ride on. No man can hinder me.



The third hymn was Tell Me the Stories of Jesus, written by William H. Parker. The tune is Stories of Jesus by Frederick A. Chalinor.

1. Tell me the stories of Jesus I love to hear;
things I would ask him to tell me if he were here:
scenes by the wayside, tales of the sea,
stories of Jesus, tell them to me.

2. First let me hear how the children stood round his knee,
and I shall fancy his blessing resting on me;
words full of kindness, deeds full of grace,
all in the lovelight of Jesus' face.

3. Into the city I'd follow the children's band,
waving a branch of the palm tree high in my hand;
one of his heralds, yes, I would sing
loudest hosannas, "Jesus is King!"

The sermon was really odd and was hard to connect with the stories of Holy week. Of course, we had to sing at two services, so we had to hear it twice.

Our second anthem was the beautiful and moving My Song Is Love Unknown by Samuel Crossman. Our anthem was a setting that was new to me whic I liked, but my favorite setting is the tune Love Unknown by John Ireland.

My song is love unknown,
My Savior’s love to me;
Love to the loveless shown,
That they might lovely be.
O who am I, that for my sake
My Lord should take, frail flesh and die?

He came from His blest throne
Salvation to bestow;
But men made strange, and none
The longed for Christ would know:
But O! my Friend, my Friend indeed,
Who at my need His life did spend.

Sometimes they strew His way,
And His sweet praises sing;
Resounding all the day
Hosannas to their King:
Then “Crucify!” is all their breath,
And for His death they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
He gave the blind their sight,
Sweet injuries! Yet they at these
Themselves displease, and ’gainst Him rise.

They rise and needs will have
My dear Lord made away;
A murderer they saved,
The Prince of life they slay,
Yet cheerful He to suffering goes,
That He His foes from thence might free.

In life, no house, no home
My Lord on earth might have;
In death no friendly tomb
But what a stranger gave.
What may I say? Heav’n was His home;
But mine the tomb wherein He lay.

Here might I stay and sing,
No story so divine;
Never was love, dear King!
Never was grief like Thine.
This is my Friend, in Whose sweet praise
I all my days could gladly spend.

Our final hymn seemed an odd choice: Are Ye Able? By Earl B. Marlayy. The hymn tune is Beacon Hill by Harry S. Mason.

“Are ye able,” said the Master,
“To be crucified with Me?”
“Yea,” the sturdy dreamers answered,
“To the death we follow Thee.”

Refrain

Lord, we are able. Our spirits are Thine.
Remold them, make us, like Thee, divine.
Thy guiding radiance above us shall be
A beacon to God, to love and loyalty.

Are you able to relinquish
Purple dreams of power and fame,
To go down into the Garden,
Or to die a death of shame?

Refrain

Are ye able, when the anguish
Racks your mind and heart with pain,
To forgive the souls who wrong you,
Who would make your striving vain?

Refrain

Are ye able to remember,
When a thief lifts up his eyes,
That his pardoned soul is worthy
Of a place in paradise?

Refrain

Are ye able when the shadows
Close around you with the sod,
To believe that spirit triumphs,
To commend your soul to God?

Refrain

Are ye able? Still the Master
Whispers down eternity,
And heroic spirits answer,
Now as then in Galilee.

Refrain
















No comments: