Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Sunday for Fishing


Third Sunday after the Epiphany
The readings for January 22, 2006 were:
Jonah 3:1-5, 10
Psalm 62: 6-141
1 Corinthians 7: 29-31
Mark 1:14-20
As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea-- for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, "Follow me and I will make you fish for people." And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him.

Our introit hymn was Come and See by Marilyn Hamm from our alternative hymnal The Faith We Sing.
“Come and see, come and see, I am the way and the truth," said He.
“Follow me, follow me, come as a child, O come and see."
Kyrie, Kyrie, Kyrie eleison.
Christe, Christe, Christe eleison.
(descant) Christe, Christe adoramus Te.
Alleluia, Kyrie eleison.

The opening hymn was “Hope of the World” by Georgia Harkness

Hope of the world, thou Christ of great compassion,
speak to our fearful hearts by conflict rent.
Save us, thy people from consuming passion,
who by our own false hopes and aims are spent.

Hope of the world, God's gift from highest heaven,
bringing to hungry souls the bread of life,
still let thy spirit unto us be given,
to heal earth's wounds and end all bitter strife.

Hope of the world, afoot on dusty highways,
showing to wandering souls the path of light,
walk thou beside us lest the tempting byways
lure us away from thee to endless night.

The second hymn was It’s Me, It’s Me, O Lord, an old spiritual.

It's me, it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
It's me, it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
Not my brother, not my sister, but it's me O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
Not my brother, not my sister, but it's me O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.

It's me, it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
It's me, it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
Not my mother, not my father, but it's me O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
Not my mother not my father, but it's me O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
It's me, it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.
It's me, it's me, O Lord, standin' in the need of pray'r.

Our anthem was O for a Closer Walk with God ,Text By William Cowper, anthem setting by Timothy Flynn

O for a closer walk with God,
A calm and heavenly frame,
A light to shine upon the road
That leads me to the Lamb!

Where is the blessedness I knew,
When first I saw the Lord?
Where is the soul refreshing view
Of Jesus and His Word?

What peaceful hours I once enjoyed!
How sweet their memory still!
But they have left an aching void
The world can never fill.

Return, O holy Dove, return,
Sweet messenger of rest!
I hate the sins that made Thee mourn
And drove Thee from my breast.

The dearest idol I have known,
Whate’er that idol be
Help me to tear it from Thy throne,
And worship only Thee.

So shall my walk be close with God,
Calm and serene my frame;
So purer light shall mark the road
That leads me to the Lamb.

The final hymn was Forth in Thy Name, O Lord written by Charles Wesley and sung to the hymn tune “Duke Street” by John Hatton.

Forth in Thy Name, O Lord, I go,
My daily labor to pursue;
Thee, only Thee, resolved to know
In all I think or speak or do.

The task Thy wisdom hath assigned,
O let me cheerfully fulfill;
In all my works Thy presence find,
And prove Thy good and perfect will.

Preserve me from my calling’s snare,
And hide my simple heart above,
Above the thorns of choking care,
The gilded baits of worldly love.

Thee may I set at my right hand,
Whose eyes mine inmost substance see,
And labor on at Thy command,
And offer all my works to Thee.

Give me to bear Thy easy yoke,
And every moment watch and pray,
And still to things eternal look,
And hasten to Thy glorious day.

For Thee delightfully employ
Whate’er Thy bounteous grace hath giv’n;
And run my course with even joy,
And closely walk with Thee to Heav’n.

No comments: