Monday, August 22, 2005

Catching Up on Two Weeks of Hymns

These are the readings for August 14
Genesis 45:1-15
Psalm 133
Romans 11:1-2a, 29-32
Matthew 15: (10-20), 21-28

One of the hymns for this day is a favorite by Brian Wren. Although it could be described as an Easter hymn it is very fitting for the reading from Genesis, which is the story of Joseph's reconciliation with his brothers.

This Is a Day of New Beginnings
This is a day of new beginnings,
time to remember and move on,
time to believe what love is bringing,
laying to rest the pain that's gone.

For by the life and death of Jesus
,love's mighty Spirit, now as then,
can make for us a world of difference,
as faith and hope are born again.

Then let us, with the Spirit's daring,
step from the past and leave behind
our disappointment, guilt, and grieving,
seeking new paths, and sure to find.

Christ is alive, and goes before us
to show and share what love can do.
This is a day of new beginnings;
our God is making all things new.
-Brian Wren, 1978

In Christ There Is No East Or West
The hymn is by William Dunkerley, written for the Pageant of Darkness and Light at the London Missionary Society’s exhibition “The Orient in London,” which ran from 1908 to 1914. Many hymnals credit the words to John Oxenham, Dunkerley’s pseudonym. The hymn tune is St. Peter by Alexander Reinagle. This is one of my all time favorite hymns.

In Christ there is no East or West,
in him no South or North,
but one great fellowship of love
throughout the whole wide earth.

In him shall true hearts everywhere
their high communion find,
his service is the golden cord
close-binding all mankind.

Join hands, disciples of the faith,
whate'er your race may be!
Who serves my Father as a son
is surely kin to me.

In Christ now meet both East and West,
in him meet South and North,
all Christly souls are one in him,
throughout the whole wide earth.

Ok. The next hymn listing is strange and sad. It is Ubi Caritas or "Where Love and Charity Prevail" It is a Taize Community hymn. It fits the readings for August 14. On August 16, 2005 Brother Roger, founder of the ecumenical Taizé Community, was murdered. How very sad. Why would anyone want to kill Brother Roger? I think the newspaper said the woman was deranged, but I haven't read why she focused on this good old man.

The text is Latin from the ninth century. The modern chant and tune are by Jacques Berthier and the Taize Community.

Live in charity and steadfast love,
live in charity; God will dwell with you.
(Latin)
Ubi caritas et amor,
ubi caritas Deus ibi est.

We usually alternate Latin and English. The choir has some descants and harmonies that enrich the hymn while the congregation repeats the chant.

My Faith Looks Up to Thee
Text: Ray Palmer, 1808-1887
Music: Lowell Mason, 1792-1872 Tune: Olivet

My faith looks up to Thee,
Thou Lamb of Calvary, Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray, take all my guilt away,
O let me from this day be wholly Thine!

May Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart, my zeal inspire!
As Thou hast died for me, O may my love to Thee,
Pure warm, and changeless be, a living fire!

While life’s dark maze I tread,
And griefs around me spread, be Thou my Guide;
Bid darkness turn to day, wipe sorrow’s tears away,
Nor let me ever stray from Thee aside.

When ends life’s transient dream,
When death’s cold sullen stream over me roll;
Blest Savior, then in love, fear and distrust remove;
O bear me safe above, a ransomed soul!

No comments: